Go to content
Parent Resources
Seeking Help for Your Child
How Parents / Guardians Can Seek Help for Their Child

If parents/guardians believe their child needs special education services, they should first contact their child's teacher. He or she may refer the child to the building level problem solving team. The team will suggest strategies for the teacher. In the event that the suggested and tried strategies are not enough for the student's needs, the team may refer the student for a special education evaluation.

Typically, a referral for a special education evaluation is made after the data collected by the problem-solving team has determined, with input from the parents/guardians, that research-based strategies and interventions attempted over a period of time have not been successful.

However, on a few occasions the parent or someone other than school district personnel initiates a written request for special education evaluation. This request may or may not be initiated with input from the building staff.

When a written request for a special education evaluation is received from someone other than school district personnel, the principal should contact the special education administrator. The special education administrator will then provide direction on processing the request, deciding what action should be taken, and initiating the necessary procedures. The district has 14 days to act on a written request for evaluation.

If a student does not qualify for an IEP under one of the 13 disability categories under IDEA, the student may still qualify for services under Section 504 if the student has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity, has a record of a physical or mental impairment, or is regarded as having a physical or mental impairment.

If you have questions about special education programs, please contact us.

Kathy Horath;, Director of Special Education
Travis Friedrich;, Assistant Director of Special Education

Disability Information
The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) offers the Educational Rights and Responsibilities: Understanding Special Education in Illinois in PDF form. It is available in both English and Spanish versions from the state. The addresses are:

We have also selected the following sites which provide Disability Information Parents may find useful.
Links to Outside Agencies
Here as some links to some Outside Agencies which you may find beneficial.
Some additional links to online documents

The Autism Program - TAP
The Autism Program at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is a program that offers support and training to both educators and families of those with Autism. It is a great resource for anyone looking for information. Check out their website at:

Child Learning Sites
The following are some recommended Child Learning Sites to explore.
We are committed to improving the accessibility of our site to all of our visitors. If you have any difficulties or suggestions, please let us know:
Macon-Piatt Special Education District
335 E. Cerro Gordo Street, Decatur IL, 62523
217-362-3055  |  217-424-3022 (fax)

Back to content